Monday, March 12, 2012

22 pairs of socks

22 pairs of socks are ready to go into the suitcase. 

I cannot believe I will be leaving Birmingham in a little less than 38 hours.  I begin my travel with a 2 1/2 hour bus ride to Atlanta.  From there, I will be traveling to Woodstock to stay over night with my mom, sister, brother-in-law, brother and my niece and nephew. 

In 60 hours, I will be catching my first flight out to Anchorage, Alaska with a connecting flight in Phoenix, Az.

It is still really hard to believe that I am about to go to Alaska.  The place of my dreams, a passion that has been embedded in my heart for years now, not ever knowing when I would be able to go.  Yet, here I sit in my living/dining room typing to you - my readers - about a my upcoming travels. 

I lay awake at night in anticipation of what is to come.  I don't have expectations, I got rid of all expectations many years ago.  I do lay there, thinking and dreaming of the faces, the hands, the feet, the homes, the lives of those that I am going to impact, but I know that more than anything, I am the one that will be impacted.  I want nothing more than God's glory to be shown.  This trip is not about me, it is about God, and His creation.  All of these people are His.  He knows their names, and their likes and dislikes, their desires and dreams.  He knows their hearts, their pains and joys.  What they do not know, however, is His name.  That is the purpose of my trip.  To share with them all the love, grace, mercy, salvation, forgiveness... that our one true King - Jesus Christ - brings to them.  He has already laid it all down for them. 
Generational religion is at the heart of many villages, whether it is in Alaska, India or Malaysia.  Tradition trumps western ideas, and in many locations - Christianity is a Western idea.  I believe with all my heart, that God is going to make His name known in such a way on this trip.  He has opened every door, down to the most minute of details. 

Romans 14:11 ~ It is written: "‘As surely as I live,’ says the Lord, ‘every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.’"

Philippians 2:10 ~ that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth...

My brothers and sisters - please continue to pray for these people.  I also ask that you pray for the people of a small village along the Amazon that my friend just came back from and for the people of Ahmedabad, India where another friend of mine just went to share the gospel.  There are many people from right here in our own neighborhood to across the globe -  so many - too many - who do not know the name of Jesus.  Please, heed the call of our Savior.  If you feel called to go and make disciples, go - knowing and trusting that God will provide your needs.  It is the Great Commission.  Please, I urge you - get right with God - and go and share this amazing news with others.  Do not hide His light - do not hide this amazing news - go and share - share it with boldness and courage and in truth... Go...
Matthew 28:19-20 ~ Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.

GO.......

No comments:

Post a Comment