Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Surrender

Surrender (verb) to yield (something) to the possession or power of another.  

I first want to say, I am not a theologian by any means, this is just my own opinion.

What does it mean to surrender to the Lord? 
For my own self, surrendering to the Lord means giving my life COMPLETELY to Him.  To allow Him to make the decisions that are perfect and wonderful in His sight.  Not my own.  To allow Him to use me for His glory rather than for me to use myself for my own personal gain - as far as needs and wants go.  My needs and wants are mere flesh desires.  In order for me and for others to follow Jesus, we must surrender to Him.  Knowing that He has a perfect path for us.
Luke 9:23 - Then He said to them all, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me."
Deny ourselves - to deny the desires of the flesh - to deny the ideas and ideologies of the world - to deny anything that is not of God.  We find God in the pages of His word, in the Holy Spirit that comes and dwells within us when we ask Jesus to come and live in our hearts. 
Man and world will always fail you, but the Lord Jesus Christ will not ever.  He is always with us.  He has given us His Spirit, the Holy Spirit, to be with us.
I love the song, I Surrender All - it was written by Judson W. Van DeVenter.  Here are the words:
  1. All to Jesus I surrender;
    All to Him I freely give;
    I will ever love and trust Him,
    In His presence daily live.
    • Refrain:
      I surrender all,
      I surrender all;
      All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
      I surrender all.
  2. All to Jesus I surrender;
    Humbly at His feet I bow,
    Worldly pleasures all forsaken;
    Take me, Jesus, take me now.
  3. All to Jesus I surrender;
    Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
    Let me feel the Holy Spirit,
    Truly know that Thou art mine.
  4. All to Jesus I surrender;
    Lord, I give myself to Thee;
    Fill me with Thy love and power;
    Let Thy blessing fall on me.
  5. All to Jesus I surrender;
    Now I feel the sacred flame.
    Oh, the joy of full salvation!
    Glory, glory, to His Name!
Again, I am no expert, but I want to mention that there are people in this world who may preach and walk in ways that are convincing, but are not Godly.
Matthew 7:15 "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.  By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.  A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit.  Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.  Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them."
I was fooled too.  However, when I truly allowed the Holy Spirit to guide me, I was guided to the truth.  Find a church that is God and Word centered.  A church that preaches from the Word and not from ideas of man.
I am praying for all who are reading this and ask that you not be afraid to email me or to respond to any of my posts.
Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

I love you and pray that you find Abounding Joy in our Father, Jesus Christ.



1 comment:

  1. Surrender is a term that is associates with defeat but for the Christian it stands for Victory!

    ReplyDelete